Thursday, December 23, 2010

What I learned in 2010

It is that time of year when everyone reflects back on everything that has happened to them in the past twelve months. This has been one crazy year for me; the craziest I've had thus far. In one year I have graduated high school, left home, started doing ministry full time, lost a brother, and gained a brother. I have experienced the highest spiritual mountain and the lowest spiritual valley in the same week. The best things that have ever happened in my life as well as the worst things have happened in just twelve short months.

I have been reading through old blog posts and journal entries and am in awe of what God continues to teach me.

Needless to say, I have learned a lot. Here is some of it…

  • Being a senior isn't as exciting as everyone says it is and graduation isn't really a big deal when you are more concerned with where you are going instead of what you are leaving
  • The Department of Driver's Services really is out to get you
  • People are in your life for a season but God is there for the long run
  • Grief never comes how or when you expect it too
  • I am not as smart as I think I am
  • Insecurity is the first ingredient in the recipe for failure
  • Pity parties aren't as fun as victorious celebrations
  • Febreeze is absolutely necessary when 5 guys share one apartment
  • God cares enough about me to mess up my plans and give me His own, which are far better anyway
  • The ability to worship is an incredible privilege that none of us deserve
  • Life may catch you by surprise but death shakes you even more
  • Red Box is a gift from God to poor missionaries who love watching movies
  • God will call you to the one area you tell Him you won't go
  • Your pain today brings someone else's healing tomorrow
  • Following Jesus is a balance between failing with insecurity and succeeding with pride
  • "Our daily bread" only tastes good on the day it was given. I can't chew on yesterday's feelings when God has something new for me today.
  • I can't have both hands to the plow when one hand is holding on to what I think God has for me
  • They call it "peace like a river" because sometimes it flows continuously through you and sometimes you have to move where it is flowing. It is unpredictable and overwhelming at times but it is real. God really does bring unexplainable comfort when we think we need it and when we don't.
  • Appreciate people, they may not always be there
  • Sometimes a death can bring far more life than just living
  • I will only be this age, in this place, with this much ahead of me once in my life- and it is right now
  • No matter if I feel too young or too old, I am right where I was created to be
  • Ukuleles are really fun to play
  • A smile can change a life
  • Every year gets quicker the older you get
  • My whole life thus far has been preparing me for the rest of my life
  • God can bring healing in ways you could never imagine
  • The worst part about being away from home is not that they can't help you, but that you can't help them
  • Life won't go the way I expect it to but it won't catch God off guard
  • I have absolutely nothing to complain about

No comments:

Post a Comment