Monday, January 31, 2011

Peek-A-Boo part 2


                I have never really written a sequel to a post but God just kept giving me stuff that I think should have been in the last one so I am writing it all down. I thought about calling this “Peek-a-boo Strikes Back” or “Peek-a-boo Returns” but I thought they were a little over the top and cheesy even by my standards.
                In this game of hide-and-go-seek called life, God sometimes is the “hider.” When He takes this job He is like a fat kid who hides behind a flagpole who hides just because it is part of the game but just desperately wants to be found by you. Sometimes He is the “seeker” and plays the adult who knows full well where his kids are hiding but holds off on finding them until the kids are tired of hiding. More often than not, though, He plays “home base;” that place where no one can touch you and you are free from anyone out to get you. I just found out that He can also be your hiding place.
Lately I have had this desire to be hidden in God. It is more than just me finding Him or Him finding me, but is about me being found in Him. I want to experience such intimacy with Him that I lose myself in the process.
 I used to think that I could measure my relationship with God by looking at how much I was producing, i.e. how many people I was sharing my faith with, how many blogs I could spit out in a month, or how much I was being directly used for His purposes. God has been teaching me that instead of producing, I need to measure my relationship with Him by how much I am reducing. My dreams, needs, desires, and very identity should be getting smaller the closer I get to God because that is the only way He can replace all those things with His dreams, His needs, His desires, and His identity. I shouldn’t matter as much as I think I do.
I struggle a lot with pride. I think way too highly of myself than I should.
The beauty of being surrounded by God is that nobody can see me. Instead of God being that thing inside me one has to really look for to see, He should be that thing surrounding me like a cloud that you can’t help but see. I can’t stand in the way when I am out of the picture.
I want to live such a life that after I meet people that they can’t even remember my name but are somehow compelled to go deeper into God.
Peek-A-Boo, where are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment