Friday, January 7, 2011

The Great Bacterial Romance

    First of all, that is probably the most disgusting title I have ever thought of. It will make sense though so stay with me.

    Think about a germ. It might be hard because you don't see them every day on account of them being so microscopically small. I mean they are really, really small. They are so minuscule that thousands of them pass by you without you even noticing. Germs are never in a place you want to be.

    Germs have a very short lifespan. Billions of germs die every day and we could care less. In fact, most of the time we are the ones who initiate the germicide. I don't know of anybody who sees this as morally wrong. Kill a person, well that's wrong by every one's standard. Kill a dog and everyone will hate you. Kill a spider and you are congratulated. Kill a germ and nobody cares.

    The level of significance which we attribute to things decreases as they get smaller. It is just fact.

    Now think about you, specifically in relation to the germ. You are an unfathomable size to the mind (if it had one) of that germ, and that isn't a fat joke. Imagine how impossible it would be for something the size of a germ to wrap its head around something as big as you. Just as it is hard for you to understand how small the germ is, it is hard for the germ to understand how big you are.

    Now imagine that you, in all of your unfathomableness (I can make up words, it is the right of the blogger), love this germ with all your power. You are infatuated with the mere idea of this germ, not just any germ but this one insignificant germ specifically. Imagine that you love this germ so much that you decide to degrade yourself to the drastic point of entering into this germ's world of slime and becoming another germ. You have to give up everything you know and can do as a human to become the scum of the Earth with a lifespan of a mere couple of hours. Finally, imagine that you choose to give up your life all together because you love this germ so much that the only way to save it is for you to die.

    Let's say you have a way to communicate with the germ world and you do everything you can to just have a conversation with your germ but it wants nothing to do with you. After all you have done for this germ it repays you by spitting in your face and insulting your mother. Yet your love remains.

    The idea is absolutely ridiculous. Who would choose death by Lysol over all the advantages of being a person?

    This is what continues to blow my mind everyday and I am convinced that the rest of eternity will come and go before I am able to wrap my mind around it.

    I am the germ.    

    I shouldn't matter at all to the God who created the Big Dipper, tidal waves, photosynthesis, and A minor. The mind that thought up volcanoes, magnets, and pelicans should have no room in it for someone with as fleeting of a life as me. A lot of times I don't even notice when He is talking to me, I just go about my day wasting the time He has given me.

    Some people think Christians are the way they are because they think they are better than everybody else. That is not true at all for me. I am a Christian because I recognize myself to be the lowest kind of life form imaginable and am taking the only chance given to me of improving my status.

    It is not that I think myself more holy than the rest of the world, but that I realize just how incredibly insignificant I am in comparison to the God who loves me unconditionally and unexplainably no matter how many times I reject Him and ignore Him. No matter how many times I tell him that what I am doing is more important than what He tells me to do He still comes down from His comfortable position into my greasy, grimy, germ world and loves me.

    I cannot imagine why the God who holds the universe in the folds of His hand wants to wrap His arms around me but he shows me every day that He does.

    It is the Great Bacterial Romance that has been going on since the beginning of time and will continue to the end of it. The romance that has been rejected, ignored, forgotten, misunderstood, falsely accused and abandoned still remains. He has already done all the work of coming into your world and making away for you to become better than the germ you would have always been. All you have to do be fed up with your germiness enough to accept his offer.

    It seems like a good deal to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment