Saturday, September 18, 2010

Captains Log: Saturday, September 18th

It has been an interesting time since I have been back with the team, which has been about two weeks now.
Last week we were at home in Macon doing evangelism training and debriefing from our last tour. It was good to be back with the team and at our apartment with a more relaxed pace than we usually move. I am glad I got a week to ease back into reality before going someplace new again.
Last week was the longest we had spent at home and the guys and I are still getting used to life on our own. I am learning how to cook because I really would like to continue eating on a daily basis and lack the sufficient funds to go anywhere. I made spaghetti which actually turned out pretty good- I gave myself a pat on the back.
Sunday morning we loaded up in the Armada and headed to Georgetown South Carolina. Notice I said “Armada” and not “15 passenger van.” An SUV is really not suitable for a lot of people going a long way no matter how nice it actually is. Please help us pray for the funds to purchase a van. We fully believe it will happen because God has provided EVERYTHING we could need but for now we just have to get used to our butts falling asleep from lack of space and air on our long trips.
Anyway we headed to Georgetown where our missions director Pastor Jessica was speaking. I got the awesome opportunity to share my testimony during the service. God orchestrated everything to fit because what I said went right along with the message and the congregation really connected when I talked about Caleb. Apparently about a month ago two girls from their youth group were in a tubing accident that left one student dead and another with a broken femur. I felt very humbled that God could use what I had been through to comfort them without me even knowing it.
Afterwards the Pastor treated us to Hardees (I refrained from getting the greatest burger in the world- the Monster thick Burger- because of how much it cost) and we made the three hour trek to Columbia, SC where we spent the remainder of the week at a brand new church that is opening up there. We spent the week doing a lot of manual labor in renovating the building. We did everything from buffering floors to scraping paint to pulling weeds. I was really thankful that God let me worship Him with boring monotonous work instead of the self glorifying stuff I am used to.
It was a different sort of trip for the team, being less evangelistic in nature and more serving. On the few occasions we got to go out with the sole purpose of sharing the Gospel with strangers we didn’t have the luck that we had had on our previous journeys but it was ok because I believe we were a blessing to the church and that’s what counts. We learned a lot, too, from the pastor and his staff about the nature of church planting and pastoral ministry.
We got home last night and have an off day today. The guys and I are still trying to settle into the apartment, and it is actually starting to look like home. We now have couches, a rug, a TV, and the microwave should come later today. What we still don’t have is internet so I am writing this from a comfortable chair at a Barnes and Noble.
Tomorrow we work at the Dome for an afternoon game, which means we have to be there at 6 am. It will be an early morning and a long day but it is ok because we have another off day Monday and we are home for more training this week before we head out to a weeklong revival in Lagrange.

No comments:

Post a Comment