Friday, May 28, 2010

Graduation

In a couple hours I will walk across the most important stage I have encountered thus far in my mere 18 years of existence.
My gown is ready, my hair styled and my tie already on.
Recently, as everything swells in excitement to tonight, I have been feeling like I am missing something.
I am just not as thrilled about graduation as everyone around me seems to be and I don’t know why. It isn’t that I am scared for what the future will bring me or that I have had such a great time these past four years that I don’t want to leave, I just don’t seem to be enthused about the whole thing.
I realized a couple minutes ago why.
Everyone is saying that we have worked for 13 years for this night, but that is not completely true for me. I have been working for far greater things than a sheet of paper.
I was reading the signatures in my freshmen yearbook before school started and I made the declaration that this year people would write more than just about how I made them laugh or am a nice person, whatever that means.
I read over the signatures in this years’ yearbook and realized that the diploma means very little to me in comparison to what God has done through me in the people I come in contact with.
I feel like I did what I set out to do, but it isn’t my doing at all. I feel so humbled to see how God has used me and I think to myself that I didn’t do any of it. God gave me the opportunity to do the things I love to do and people were changed by it. That astounds me.
So tonight isn’t much of a transition to me (though who knows what hindsight will teach me), because I am still just going to do the things I love to do. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment