Saturday, April 25, 2009

Why I love failure

I have failed at things all my life. I have always missed the mark in something or not been perfect in another. I am human. When one who is seeking not to fail fails, they stop and see where they went wrong. They look at their mistakes and see what they could have done differently and then do it. They start over again and learn, growing ever closer to perfection. I am perfectly comfortable with this.
When I am not happy, when things don't go well or when I just don't feel the presence of God that I have always felt it's usually because I am not doing something right. I am messing up. So I sincerely say "OK God, I messed up again like I always do. Please forgive me one more time and teach me how I can do this your way, because my way didn't work. Show me what I am doing wrong and help me fix it." He shows me, then helps me fix it. That is the way I have lived my life. I have learned it is easier for me to admit defeat and correct myself than to keep going pretending I'm doing everything right. When I was a little kid, I discovered I could skip the guilt speech I would receive from my parents after doing something wrong by simply sitting myself in time-out before they had a chance to give it to me. I missed the entire guilt trip by only going to what was the unevitable punishment.
Now here is the problem. Sometimes I am not happy because of something God is doing. I just want Him to tell me I'm wrong and start fixing it but instead He says "Keep doing what you are doing, be patient, I'm coming." What!? You mean I have done everything I can do in my own power and I still have to wait on God? That means I have to bear through this unhappiness until God decides to come through. That my friend, is a heck of a lot harder than failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment