Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mannequins, Batman, and Fear Itself

Who knew that Batman was afraid of bats?
It sounds ironic but it makes sense when you find out Bruce Wayne once fell into a well as a child full of the mysterious flying rodents and was trapped there until his father could rescue him. Things like that stay with you for awhile and despite watching his parents murder, escaping to go travel the world and ending up in a third world prison, our hero could never get away from his childhood phobia.
When he returned home with a passion for justice and all the training he would ever need to kick criminal butt as a vigilante, he turned his fear on itself and masked himself in the persona of what terrified him. Bruce Wayne understood the power of standing in the middle of his greatest fear and be able to look it into the face, breathe deeply, and use his fear as his greatest weapon against whoever came against him. What used to cripple him became his greatest ally.
I am not really afraid of bats. I mean I don’t think they are the cutest of God’s creatures but they don’t terrify me like they did the billionaire Dark Knight of Gotham.
I am, however, afraid of mannequins.

It might sound weird but I hate walking into department stores and bumping into somebody, apologizing, and turning around to see that they are plastic. I don’t have nightmares about trendy figurines chasing me down at night but they just kind of freak me out. I think this all came from images of that eighties movie with Andrew McCarthy mixed with seeing the paranoia of Will Smith in I Am Legend
When Bruce Wayne vocalized his fear, it allowed him to use it for a greater good. When I vocalize my fear of mannequins, it doesn’t really do anything except lead into a lot of jokes.
Mannequins aren’t the only thing I am afraid of though.
I am also afraid of failure.
I am afraid that I won’t be able to fulfill all the promises I have made to God, or myself.
I am afraid that a day will come where all my inspiration and vision goes away and I have nothing worthwhile to say to anybody.
I am afraid that at the end of the day, I will be just like everybody else in the world. I am afraid to not live up to greatness.
I am afraid that I won’t have the strength and will power to resist the temptation of impatience when I am alone with my fiancĂ©.
I am afraid that there will be people in my life that need me to speak wisdom and I will tell them the wrong thing, or expect them to do what I am unable to do myself.
I am afraid that God won’t provide everything He said He would.
I am afraid that I won’t be able to provide anything for the people that will one day soon depend on me.
I am afraid that if I don’t look like a great Christian worth following and quoting then I will be worthless as a person.
What are you afraid of?
I am tired of trying to dance around the proverbial elephant in the room that gets in the way of every decision I make and every decision I don’t make.  God knows what I am afraid of, why shouldn’t I admit it to myself? I can never get past all these fears until I at least admit that they are there
Vocalizing what you are most afraid of only does one thing: It makes your fears sound ridiculous. Reading over that list only brings to mind a dozen or so Scriptures that combat each fear head on. I can read each one and remember  a time in my own life where that fear proved itself to be perfectly illegitimate. God is good, and always has been. Not only is He good, but He is everything He ever said He was.
Fear only has power when it is avoided at all costs and refused to be acknowledged.
What are you afraid of?
Write it all down and watch how freeing life gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment